• ACT makes room for SAT - although students have been preparing steadily for the ACT, the Colorado Department of Education made the announcement that the SAT will become new college entrance exam. • "13 Hours" has local ties - Fowler's Mark "Oz" Geist's story is featured in both the book and movie. • Manchego wins stock market experience - FHS's Jacee Manchego won first place in her Regional Stock Market Experience, a real-life investment simulation. • NJC rodeo students helps children cowboy up - Fowler's Kyle Taylor, a member of the NJC Rodeo Team was one of 12 college students who helped with the 2nd annual Children's Hospital Rodeo Experience held in Aurora.
• Queen and King crowned at Snowcoming - Chaney McCuistion and Brand Sharp were crowned as Snowcoming Queen and King • Fowler Area Homeschoolers join Fowler Methodist Church ladies for meeting - the attendees enjoyed a presentation by storyteller Jane Milne of Pueblo. Milne's story portrayed the life of Lorraine Chenoweth of Springfield, Colorado (1918-2014). • Eight Grizzlies advance to the State Tournament - Dahlton McGhee, Justin Hinkle, Gino DeVore, Seth McFall, Dylan Palomino, Tyson Martinez, Seth Damgaard and Henry Fellhauer headed to the Pepsi Center for CHSAA State Wresting Tournament. • FHS Academic Club competes at state - members included Kai Geringer, Brenan Bates, Titus Unruh, Tye Hershey, Mitchel Fosdick, Jay Hardy, Dominic DeVore, Kaitlyn Smith and Jacee Manchego.
• Girls' Basketball continues in regional play - The Grizzlies Girls' Basketball team sealed their path into regional play with a win against the Hoehne Farmers • Fosdick and Knowlton thriving at OJC - Mitchell Fosdick and Dovvie Knowlton had solid showings and racked up several awards at the Regional Science Fair. • Fowler Destination Imagination Teams head to state - All three DI teams headed to state after a very successful regional meet. • Fowler Chamber hosts Egg Hunt - In freezing temps, members of the Fowler Chamber of Commerce and several members and their families gathered at Gerard Park to enjoy egg hunting, cotton candy and a small petting zoo
• Local standout earns Boettcher Scholarship - Fowler High School Senior Brennan Bates was selected as a recipient of the Boettcher Scholarship • Shaelea Pruett competes in Denver Nuggets Skills Challenge - After qualifying at two previous events, Pruett proved she had what it took to be there with a 4th place finish. • New council members sworn in - Nathan Schultz, Lowell White, Andy Lotrich, and Dianna Saxon were all sworn in by Mayor Chuck Hitchcock. • FSD students sweep 'We Honor' contest - Students presented their projects in Pueblo at the Center for American Values. • Hobby and Benesch awarded scholarships - Senior Brianna Hobby was awarded the Daniels Fund while Senior Jessica Benesch received the Kane Foundation Scholarship • Gino DeVore and Brianna Hobby crowned as FHS Prom King and Queen
• CSU Pueblo Thunderwolves Coach John Wristen stopped by Fowler Elementary School to kick off their Scholastic Book Fair • Second-graders plant tree for Arbor Day - Marsh Weber, president of the Progress Club gave the program and tree dedication to Mr. Lundy and Mrs. Bell's classes. • Senior athletes honored - Brianna Hobby received the Randy Lundy Memorial Award and Travis Tomlin and Jessica Benesch were named Outstanding Senior Athletes • Farwell, Class of 2016 - The small class of 23, reflected on the past years and embraced the new adventures the future holds for them at their graduation. • Missing Pueblo woman found - Fowler Police Department was instrumental in finding RaeDaen Pagano, after a search began nearly 10 days before.
• Memorial Day honors veterans and military - Fowler Cemetery hosted a heartwarming and patriotic Memorial Day Service to honor the service and sacrifice of our veterans and military at the Fowler Cemetery flag pole. • SSG Justin Vasquez Honored - Vasquez was honored with a '"Table for one" ceremony presented by boots66.org. • Rural LISC receives award - Rural LISC and Housing Assistance Council were honored at the 44th Annual National Housing Conference • GVS Memorial Golf Tournament a success once again - Lifelong frond of Gary Jewell Steinbeck was the Grand Marshal for the tournament. • Summer reading program keeps kids active - Kiddos at the Fowler Public Library Summer Reading Program enjoyed Bubble Soccer as part of their activities. • Class of 1946 to be Missouri Day Parade Marshals - The Fowler Missouri Day Committee announced that the Class of 1946 will be Missouri Day Parade Marshals as they will celebrate their 70th class reunion.
• Father, daughter walking to raise money in Journey Across America - Sarah Boggs and her father, Gary Buchanan, set off walking coast to coast to raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and their hometown Humane Society of Parkersburg, West Virginia. • Fowler Historical Society Wedding dresses on display - The Fowler Historical Society featured a new display of weddings with photographs of Fowler locals who were married 40 or more years. • Missouri Day 2016 a success - 1st place parade winners included Rocky Ford Supercross, Cloverleaf Livestock 4-H Club, Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, Robert and Lorraine Rodriguez's 1923 T-Bucket, Martin Family, Southeast Colorado Antique Car and Tractor, Cael True, Papo Art and his grandkids, Class of 1971.
• Highway 50 period review extended - The Federal Highway Administration extended the Public Review Period for Colorado Department of Transportation's US Corridor East Tier Draft Environmental Statement. • FBLA competes at Nationals - The Fowler Chapter of FBLA had five individuals qualify for the National Leadership Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. Sponsor Mark Lowther accompanied Brennan Bates, Jessica Benesch, Brianna Hobby, Jacee Manchego and Kaitlyn Smith. • Damaged landing gear causes emergency landing - Crews from a multitude of agencies responded to the Fowler airport for an aircraft with a flight emergency. • Derby Bragging rights stay in Fowler - Justin Walker and Isaac Bell came out on top at the Arkansas Valley Derby.
• Pieper wins reserve - Fowler's Ty Pieper won Reserve Grand Champion hog at the Colorado State Fair. • Meet the new pub owners - Chris and Misty Montoya take over Scratch's Pub • Dove Fest Trophy stays put - Back-to-back winners include the sister-sister group of Michele Bates, Becky Hershey, Mary Osborne and Cindy Kreft. • Over 1,000 extra people to Fowler - Pedal the Plains brought over 1,000 people to our community. • Aragon and Reed crowned FHS Queen and King. Seniors Emily Aragon and Dean Reed are crowned FHS Homecoming King and Queen.
• Narcotics operation in the Arkansas Valley - A large scale joint narcotics operation was conducted across the Arkansas Valley including Otero, Crowley, Bent, Pueblo and El Paso. The team seized a total of 22,247 pounds of marijuana that was due to be shipped out of state. • Community invited to participate in superintendent search focus group - Members of the Fowler School District R4J community, along with school district staff were invited to participate in focus group meetings to help Fowler School District develop a leadership profile. • Sharp legacy lives on - The racing tradition stronghold in Fowler continued as Mark Sharp and son Derrick Sharp won the Colorado State Racing Championship in their divisions and cousin Blaine Flanscha won a Wally. • Rocky wins class 3A state title - GrizMelons included Jacee Manchego, Ciara Huckaby and Laney Nelson.
• Fowler Sate Bank celebrates 117 years - Fowler State Bank celebrated 117 years with a barbecue luncheon for customers of the bank as well as all folks from the community and surrounding area. • Fowler Grizzlies Volleyball declared Regional Champs and qualify for the CHSAA 2A State Volleyball Tournament • Boots 66, Manzanola School honor veterans - The "Thank you for My Freedom" Tour of Boots 66 conducted a ceremony in honor of veterans featuring the service of SSgt Justin Vasquez at the Manzanola School Gym. • Fowler speaks at Community Thanksgiving Service - Bob Fowler captivated a packed congregation at the Ministerial Alliance Thanksgiving Service talking about his "God Moments" he experience after suffering a heart attack while running the Boulder-Boulder.
• Students help set new Guinness World Record - Students from Fowler Elementary helped set new new Guinness World Records mark in sport stacking. • Baldwin recognized for 25 years of service - Commissioner and Fowler local Jim Baldwin was recognized for 25 years of service with a plaque. • Rocky Ford Rotary Club and Fowler State Bank give dictionaries - Rocky Ford Rotary Club and Fowler State Bank gave Fowler Elementary third graders an early Christmas present when they delivered hard bound children's Scholastic dictionaries and talked to students about Rotary Club. • Group spreads Chirstmas Cheer - The Fowler Progress Club held their Christmas meeting where they assembled individual cookie plates to deliver around Fowler and surrounding areas to shut-ins. • Locals compete in North American Trick Riding Championships - Aaron and Isaac Johnson competed in the North American Trick Riding Championships in Las Vegas against top riders from across the United States and Canada.
2016 ... wow, what a year!