Connor (Colin Donnell) will return to Chicago Med in Season 5, after all. The bad news, however, is that his stay is only temporary. Chicago's finest bearded doctor will make his way back to the ED for just one episode to film a proper exit after that blowup with Ava (Norma Kuhling) in the Season 4 finale left too many questions looming about their impending departures.
The fight, which saw Connor accuse Ava of murdering his father, abruptly ended with both storming off but still employed by the hospital. Leaving things on that bitter, messy note would have been a wholly unsatisfying ending for both characters, but especially Connor, who's been with the series since the beginning. Although it looks like Ava won't be back, Connor's final appearance should explain what happened after the argument and why he'll no longer be around.
Because we're super impatient and can't wait until September to see how the show will handle Connor's absence, we're taking matters into our own hands. Here are five totally plausible theories about how Connor will exit Chicago Med.Colin Donnell, Chicago Med" data-image-credit="Elizabeth Sisson/NBC" data-image-alt-text="‹ Colin Donnell, Chicago Med" data-image-credit-url="" data-image-target-url="" data-image-title="Colin Donnell, Chicago Med" data-image-filename="190517-chicagomedrhodes-news.jpg" data-image-date-created="2019/05/17" data-image-crop="" data-image-crop-gravity="" data-image-aspect-ratio="" data-image-height="1380" data-image-width="2070" data-image-do-not-crop="" data-image-do-not-resize="" data-image-watermark="" data-lightbox="">
Discover your new favorite show: Watch This Now!
1. He gets abducted by aliens. We already know this show to be out of this world, so why not make that literal with aliens? Plus, Connor's terrible relationship with his father, a failed marriage with Robin, and a manipulative girlfriend in Ava prove that he's had terrible luck on the show. If anyone were to be snatched up by tiny green creatures, it would probably be Will (Nick Gehlfuss) -- let's face it, this show loves to throw him into bizarre scenarios -- but Connor would be a close second.
2. He goes out for coffee and never returns. Maybe Connor's exit won't be the grand gesture we're all expecting. Perhaps he'll simply walk and out never come back. It wouldn't be unprecedented. Remember when Judy (Jaimee Foxworth) from Family Matters went upstairs and never came back down?
3. He just chills in the background. What if Connor doesn't actually leave and remains an elusive figure who is mentioned but never seen? It worked for Dr. Latham (Ato Essandoh), who finally appeared in physical form toward the end of Season 4 after only being named-dropped for nearly an entire year.
4. He quits. Between his father's suspicious death and his tumultuous relationship with Ava, things have been pretty rough for Connor, so no one would blame him for wanting to ditch Chicago Med for greener pastures elsewhere. Hey, maybe that offer from the Mayo Clinic is still open.
5. He dies. It's the one scenario we never want to imagine, but given the hospital's penchant for danger, it's a very real possibility. But bringing Connor back just to let him die would be a dropkick to the gut, so it might not even come to that. Right?
Catch Colin Donnell in action one more time as Connor Rhodes when Chicago Med returns for Season 5 on Wednesday, Sept. 25 at 8/7c on NBC. Seasons 1-4 are now streaming on Hulu.
Other Links From TVGuide.com Chicago MedColin Donnell