Mark your calendars, Fowler, Colorado, and prepare to pack downtown Nov. 26, 2016.
Mark your calendars, Fowler, Colorado, and prepare to pack downtown Nov. 26, 2016. Join with neighbors, friends and family to head into our local businesses and show them how much we appreciate them for Small Business Saturday.
Every day across America, small businesses are there for their communities and its families. The people that run these business are our friends and neighbors and their business have made an effort to become a part of the equation that boosts the economic vitality of our community.
5 reasons to love shopping local
1. It's fun. Several shop on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving). But why? You have to get up early, head for sales, then meet for breakfast. I say no more. It's just too painful: no real bargains, crazy crowds, unpleasant employees. This Saturday would be a great time to start a new tradition. Why not make Small Business Saturday your new tradition. Sleep in, meet for breakfast at a local, independent café like The Bunkhouse or Tamarack Grill, then go shopping in our small stores. Then meet for lunch with more friends at Phat Willy's or grab a pizza from Loaf 'N' Jug. Shopping at small businesses keeps money in our community to help finance schools and other institutions.
2. You support schools, police and fire departments. When you shop small, the bulk of the money you spend and most of your taxes stay local — helping schools, paving streets, keeping you safe. According to the research firm Civic Economics, for every $100 you spend: • In a local small business, $68 stays in your community. • At a local branch of a chain store, $43 remains. • Online, virtually no money stays local.
3. You'll raise your property values. Lively, vibrant neighborhood shopping streets are considered an advantage when selling a home. They make your property more valuable.
4. You'll strengthen your community. Local businesses are owned by people who live in your town, go to your church, donate to local organizations, coach Little League teams. When you spend money in their stores and cafes, you support your neighbors.
5. You'll create jobs. Local businesses create local jobs. Bonus. You'll get pampered. The best gift is often an experience — a spa day, golf lesson, freezer meal. Check your local independent businesses for great services to give as gifts.
There are great treasures to be found in Fowler at our local businesses. How About… · a round of golf · tools and ammunition · pet beds, toys and supplies · a basket of groceries · a massage, hair supplies, or facial · Riedel stemware (for the wine lover) · NFL Licensed Bronco items · Filled propane tank · Pizza · Coffee mug · Candles · Fowler Tribune Subscription · Hand soaps and lotions · Cozy fuzzy blankets · Cookware
All of these items and much more can be found at your local shops in Fowler. If all else fails and you cannot decide on that perfect gift, stop in, say hello and purchase a gift certificate. Each and every business in Fowler will gladly help you with that, and one cannot go wrong with a gift certificate. I am once again excited for Small Business Saturday and I hope to see all of you out and about Saturday spending the day with your neighbors.