Some experts have long argued that the tiny tapioca pearls found in bubble tea can actually be bad for you (they can be sugary and starchy)
According to AsiaOne, a 14-year-old girl in China ended up in the hospital after four days of constipation. Doctors did a CT scan and found a number of small mystery spheres — turns out, they were undigested pearls from bubble tea. The girl reportedly told doctors she only had one cup of bubble tea, but the doctor said that type of blockage would have been caused by ingesting a large amount of pearls.
Vice reports that while the boba pearls are often made from tapioca, "some boba manufacturers use other thickeners or even preservatives ... that can lead to constipation or gastrointestinal issues."
Read more trending news from GateHouse Media:These are the best cities for LGBTQ+ couples to get married, according to this study You can watch NASA build the Mars 2020 rover live Build-A-Bear is bringing back the 'Pay Your Age' deal — but there are some limits